FRASCH PROCESS FOR THE EXTRACTION OF SULPHUR
In the frasch process, three concentric tubes are introduced into the sulphur deposit. Super-heated water (165°C) is injected into the deposit via the outermost tube.
Important point to remember:
The melting point of sulphur is 115°C.
The sulphur melts and flows into the middle tube. Water pressure alone is unable to force the sulphur into the surface due to the molten sulphur’s greater density, so that the hot compressed air is injected via the innermost tube to froth the sulphur, making it less dense and pushing it to the surface.
Sulphur obtained can be very pure (up to 99.8%). It is light yellow in color.
USES OF SULPHUR:
1. It is mainly used for preparation of sulphur dioxide which is used in manufacture of sulphuric acid.
2. Sulphur is used in the manufacture of gun powder.
3. Sulphur is used in the manufacture of matches and fireworks.
4. Sulphur is used on vulcanization of rubber. Natural rubber is soft and sticky. Heating it with sulphur makes it hard, non-sticky and more elastic. This process is known as vulcanization.
5. Sulphur is used in ointments for curing skin diseases.
6. Sulphur is used in beauty parlor to give specific shape to the hair.