PREPARATION OF HYDROGEN GAS IN LABORATORY
Before collecting hydrogen gas great care must be taken to ensure that all the air has been displaced from the apparatus since a mixture of hydrogen with air is highly explosive.
Hydrogen is prepared in the lab by the action of acids on metal’s dilute.
Sulphuric acid is added to granulated zinc. Zinc sulphate or zinc chloride is formed in solution and the hydrogen that is evolved is collected over water in a trough.
PROPERTIES OF HYDROGEN GAS:
1. It is a colorless, odorless gas.
2. Sparingly soluble in water and the solubility is not much affected by change of temperature.
USES OF HYDROGEN GAS:
1. It is used as a fuel in oxy-hydrogen blow pipes.
2. It is used to fill balloons and airships.
3. It is used for hardening of vegetable and animal oils.